Past Posts

September 07, 2009

Oh, Art. You had a really hard day.

Before I write about Art's hard time let it be known that no Art's were harmed in the making of this photograph. Ben assures me it was taken swiftly and incognito (with his phone) without compromising his ability to compassionately deal with Art.

Art can be totally flexible and can handle disappointment and frustration with grace, but only if he's been prepared for it in advance. Kind of oxymoronic, I know, but that's the way it is with him. Catch him off guard and you end up with this heart-breaking moment. Art pleading to have the hose on when we were right about to sit down for dinner all because I had to spritz some sand a bit to finish my walkway and did not explain that we would not be playing with the hose, just a quick spritz. Art had a lot of those moments today, today being a stressful day of transition after Wisconsin. I think he'll feel better tomorrow, and we'll help him by letting him know what to expect.

No comments: