Past Posts

July 04, 2009

I love watching kids learn to do things by themselves.

Ok, I know there is a video of me after Art was born lamenting that he is growing up so fast because he was two days old and the next day he wasn't going to be two days old anymore.  I know I said that, and I meant it!  But I really do love to see my children adopt certain tasks as their own.  Lewis is gaining more and more communication skills, minor as they mights seem.  He will shake his head no when he doesn't want something, he will lift his empty glass up for more of what was in it, he will walk over to his high chair and even start to pull it over to the table when he's hungry.  I love that!!!  And Art going up to his room, pulling up his own covers and taking a nap.  Doesn't happen everyday but today he said he was going to take a "break" and when I went up there much later he was all snuggled in for a nap.  Or when he wanted frozen blueberries, got himself a bowl from the tupperware shelf, went into the freezer and poured his own.  Or how he'll go into Lewis's room and pull his crib away from the wall so he can get the gackoos that fell behind it.  Ironic?  Showing independence while also still being a pacifier addict?  Sure, but I still think it's great.

1 comment:

Mary Jo Parker O'Hearn said...

And it continues! I remember thinking how wonderful it was to see my children get a real job...then a spouse...then a child! Being a parent is a blessing that never ends.